Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tip to bake cakes evenly

Today was  my oldest son's birthday and I made him a german chocolate cake. I'm not sure if it will make it uncut before he gets home! Happy  Birthday Nick!!


 An inexpensive tip for getting cakes to bake evenly, and not round up in the middle,  is to take a kitchen towel (I used flour sack towels) wet it thoroughly and wrap around the sides of the cake pans. This will keep the outside of the cake from getting done before the inside, and it will bake evenly. If you bake for more than 30 minutes, keep an eye on the towels to make sure they do not totally dry out. You may need to put new wet ones on just to be safe.  There are fancy silver colored cake pan strips that you can buy, they sell for around $10 each. Since I don't bake cakes everyday, the wet towel trip works for me and it uses things I already have!

No comments: