Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happy New Year all...saving even more!

With the new year brings hope to eventually and fully be debt free. Woohoo!!! That is so exciting. I was talking with a friend yesterday and she commented that I sounded very rested. The only thing different was that I had 3 of my 'stupid' debts taken care of. It is such a refreshing feeling to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I haven't been doing very well at keeping up with weekly menu plans, but I do manage to think it out in my head and have a general idea of what we will have for the week. This week I just happened to hit some unadvertised store specials on salmon, chicken and pork which was a nice change. We usually eat mostly beef as that is what my family raises, I hate to buy meat from the store. But we do what we have to at times. The pork chops were "delish" baked in a hawaiian sauce of pineapple juice, brown sugar, ginger, salt and cornstarch. The sauce was yummy on a side of rice as well.

The chicken came in a 10 pound bag of leg quarters. I de-boned it and we had batter fried chicken, sesame chicken and homemade chicken noodle soup. One of my boys curled his nose up when he saw me making the soup and he said "I thought it was going to be out of a can". I laughed. The I laughed again when he saw it and said "this looks it came out of a can", which in his eyes was a good thing. It tasted yummilicious too with a side of corn fritters (to use up some leftover corn).

I will most likely take the salmon to work this weekend and steam it in my new rice cooker. I cannot believe it took me this long to get one of those wonderful things. Not only do they cook rice and anything else you would cook in a 'hot pot' style cooker, but you can steam just about anything. I also use it to heat up leftovers at work as I am through using microwaves. I am convinced they are a health threat. That will be a topic for another post.

Have a blessed weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Lora said...

Love your blog! Have you ever tried "power cooking" ... where you prepare three meals on one day, eat one of them and then freeze the other two for later?

Sarah said...

Thanks so much! I do a version of that. I will make a double batch of something and freeze it for a later time. That makes it easy to pop something out quickly in a time crunch. I don't make and freeze complete meals per se, but I try to keep a stocked pantry and stock up on things in weekly sales fliers from the grocery stores to have available. Stop back again soon! :)